A

female UK Black Lives Matter activist is in intensive care after she was shot in the head on Sunday morning.

Sasha Johnson, a prominent member of the Taking the Initiative Party (TTIP), has been named online as the woman shot in Peckham though police have refused to identify the victim.

In a message on their Instagram feed, TTIP said: “It is with great sadness that we inform you that our own Sasha Johnson has been brutally attacked and sustained a gunshot wound to her head. She is currently in intensive care and in a critical condition.”

They said the attack “in the early hours of the morning” came after the mother-of-two, believed to be in her 20s, had faced “numerous death threats”.

She had previously been a vocal supporter of the campaign to remove the statue of Cecil Rhodes from Oxford University.  

Claudia Webbe Labour MP for Leicester East, was among those who went online to express “solidarity” with Ms Johnson.

Ms Webbe said: “We were all out last year for Black Lives Matter.

“I only know her as an activist on these issues of Black Lives Matter. I support Black Lives Matter and therefore support what she was doing.

“As a member of Parliament I stand in full solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement and I stand with her work in the Black Lives Matter movement.”

Labour MP David Lammy called the attack “gut-wrenching”.

“Praying for Sasha Johnson, her family and friends that she makes a quick and full recovery, #BlackLivesMatter”.

Ms Johnson works in activism and community support and got a first in social care at Oxford University.

A police officer guards the area near where Sasha Johnson was shot

/ REUTERS

The Metropolitan Police later reissued an appeal for witnesses in relation to a 27-year-old woman who is in hospital with life-threatening injuries after being shot in the early hours of Sunday.

The Met said the woman was found after officers were called to reports of gunshots in Consort Rd shortly before 3am.

It is believed the shooting occurred in the vicinity of a house where a party was taking place and a number of people may have been in the area.

A spokesman said that while the investigation is at an early stage, there is nothing to suggest it was a targeted attack or that the woman had received any credible threats against her before this incident.

Detectives from the Met’s specialist crime command (Trident) are leading the investigation.

Detective Chief Inspector Jimi Tele said: “This was a shocking incident that has left a young woman with very serious injuries. Our thoughts are with her family who are being provided with support at this terribly difficult time.”

He said detectives are making “good progress” in hunting the attackers but they need help from the public.

It is “crucial” that anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Consort Road area in the early hours of Sunday or who has heard information since then get in touch.

Mr Tele added: “Finally, I recognise that this incident will have shocked those in the local community and further afield.

“I would ask people to avoid speculating as to the motive or the circumstances behind it.”

Vigil to be held on Monday

A vigil for the recovery of Sasha Johnson will be held on Monday afternoon, the Black Lives Matter Twitter account said.

Main Source link