Local police said the man had been apprehended after the attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday,
“The man has been apprehended … from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone,” police chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters.
“Several people have been injured and several are dead,” Aas said. He declined to comment on the number of casualties.
Norway‘s minister of justice and public security Monica Maeland was closely monitoring the situation and has received updates on the attacks, the ministry said.
The attacks took place over a large area of Kongsberg, home to around 28,000 people in southeastern Norway, according to police.