Bloomberg News will “suspend” its editorial board while founder Michael Bloomberg runs for president – and key members of the organization are joining his campaign, according to a staff memo posted online Sunday.

“The place where Mike has had the most contact with Editorial is Bloomberg Opinion: our editorials have reflected his views,” Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait wrote.

“We will suspend the Board, so there will be no unsigned editorials.”

Micklethwait also said that Bloomberg Opinion’s senior executive editor, David Shipley, its executive editor, Tim O’Brien, and unidentified members of the editorial board would all “take a leave of absence to join Mike’s campaign.”

Bloomberg News will “make clear that our owner is now a candidate” in its coverage of the presidential race but “will continue our tradition of not investigating Mike (and his family and foundation) and will extend the same policy to his rivals in the Democratic primaries,” he added.

But it “will continue to investigate the Trump administration as the government of the day” and “reassess how we do that” if Bloomberg wins the Democratic nomination, Micklethwait said.

The memo, which began with the greeting, “So Mike is running,” was obtained and posted on Twitter by a CNN media reporter shortly after Bloomberg’s announcement that he was seeking to unseat President Trump.

Shipley served as a special assistant and senior speechwriter for then-President Bill Clinton and was formerly the op-ed page editor and deputy editorial page editor of the New York Times.

O’Brien, who previously worked at outlets including the Times and the Wall Street Journal, wrote the 2005 book “TrumpNation: The Art of Being The Donald” and has frequently appeared on MSNBC to criticize the Republican president.



Main Source link